2/16/09

ebmb?

link*

Today, while scanning through the usual random collection of news sites and blogs that I frequent, I read an article about a new pill scientists are developing that could potentially eradicate bad memories. One sentence in particular stood out to me,

"Some ethicists see problems, question[ing] whether such treatments begin to alter what it means to be human."

It's an interesting dilemma to be faced with, because indeed, what does it mean to be human? Sometimes it seems like this is a question many people choose to scoff at. In any case, this is a curious advancement, although I'm not sure if I agree with erasing peoples memories like that. I feel like every day I see more things that convince me that we're living in that futuristic reality which humanity has predicted for decades. It's amazing when you view the world through the type of perspective where you realize that the past truly is alive. In terms of humanity's frame of perspective, history is more than just a lesson forgotten - It's something that's affected in every way where the world is presently.

No comments: